Made in Me launches Me Comics as Me Books passes the 1 million downloads mark
Over 1 million Me Books have been downloaded within Made in Me’s digital picture book apps.
Hot on the success of Me Books, Made in Me – a children’s media company based in Shoreditch, East London – has launched Me Comics, a comic book app with the same features that have made Me Books so popular with families. Launch titles include Transformers, My Little Pony, Peabody and Sherman, The Beano and Popeye. New titles will be added weekly to the in-app comic book shop.
Launching a comic book app is a natural next-step from the picture books in Me Books. James Huggins, co-founder and CEO of Made in Me explains, ‘We’ve had so many emails from parents who love Me Books asking if we can offer something for their older children. Me Comics is exactly this: an app for school-age kids who have outgrown picture books, children who are reading by themselves and picking their own books to read. But parents don’t have to worry about what their kids are reading. Like Me Books, all of the books inside Me Comics feature family-friendly content, stories behind best-loved brands and illustrators that parents can trust.’
Me Comics is free to download and comes with one free Peabody and Sherman comic. Additional books can be purchased from the in-app comic book shop. Me Comics can be read in single-page or double-page mode. There is also a panel-by-panel mode in which readers tap to advance the story one comic panel at a time.
Me Comics also features the patented Me Books draw-and-record function which allows readers to create hotspots in which they can add narration, commentary, and sound effects to personalise their favourite comics.
The Me Comics app is available in English globally for Apple and Android touchscreen devices.
Me Books and Me Comics – the ultimate interactive collection of children’s books, comics, and stories. Get the free app!
What is a Me Book?
A Me Book is an immersive and interactive digital book for touchscreens that keeps the look and feel of physical edition whilst adding extra special Me Books magic.
There are two Me Books apps:
• Me Books – Digital picture books for pre-schoolers
• Me Comics – Digital comics for school-age children
Both apps are simple, fun, and intuitive to use. The apps enhance the reading experience through an original use of audio. By tracing an area on the screen, then pressing and holding down to record, our patented draw-and-record technology allows readers to capture their own sounds and voices and save them as interactive ‘hotspots’. Just in case there’s more than one natural performer in the family, it’s possible to save up to three versions of each Me Book and Me Comic to treasure forever.
Me Books also includes a read-to-me function. This creative re-imagining of stories has inspired authors and narrators to add exclusive content to each Me Book. These ‘asides’ add high-quality sound effects and hilarious commentary from famous storytellers including Benedict Cumberbatch, Richard E. Grant, Sir David Jason, Rik Mayall, Hugh Bonneville, Debra Messing, Imelda Staunton, Tamsin Greig and Adam Buxton and you have a compelling way to enjoy the world s most popular children’s books.
• Me Books launched October 2012.
• Me Comics launched 21 March 2014.
• Available on iOS (Apple) and Android
• Both apps are free to download. Your first book is free. Sign up to the Me Books Club and receive a second book for free.
• New Me Books and Me Comics publish every Friday.
• Average Me Books downloads of 1,200 per day.
• Me Books and Me Comics have an everyday price of £1.99 or £2.99 with 69p sales and free offers
• Me Books and Me Comics feature titles from Penguin, Puffin, Ladybird, Bloomsbury, Anderson Press, Scholastic, Tate Publishing, IDW, HarperCollins, Templar, DC Thompson, Egmont, Little Tiger Press, Oxford University Press, Hachette Children’s Books – and more!
• Twitter: @me_books
• Me Books has consistently been in the UK Top 10 Free Book charts for iPad since launch, hot on the heels of the iBooks, Kindle, and Goodreads apps.
• Me Books was named The Sunday Times 500 best apps in the World 2013 and winner of: Guardian top 25 apps of 2012, Guardian Digital Innovation Award, App Magazine best entertainment app, Lovie Awards Gold
Developed by Made in Me, the digital kid’s media company behind the BAFTA nominated The Land of Me and BAFTA nominated Sneak.
About Made in Me
Made in Me is a kid’s digital media company founded in 2009 by brothers-in-law James Huggins and Mike Outlaw to explore the creative and commercial potential of interactive children’s media. Since then the company has grown and now boasts a wealth of expertise covering a broad range of media industries and disciplines.
From a charming little corner of Shoreditch in East London, we dream up new and exciting ways to help the very best children’s stories and characters reach the audience they deserve. Made in Me focuses on four areas of expertise:
• Digital publishing (books and games)
• Product design and development
• Digital strategy and audience acquisition
• IP management and rights exploitation