STARTUPS ANNOUNCED FOR 2014 BOOKEXPO CHALLENGE
Silicon Alley and Book Publishing Industry Join Forces at the First-Ever BEA Startup Alley
NEW YORK, NY – May 22, 2014 – BookExpo America (BEA) announced today that 18 innovative startups have been selected to participate in the BookExpo Startup Challenge and Startup Alley, a special event at BEA where publishing startups compete for the opportunity to win cash prizes and pitch to the VCs in attendance.
As the publishing industry evolves to embrace the digital revolution, BEA is becoming a space where companies merging innovation, technology and books can connect with industry giants.
BEA 2014 attendees can watch as startups face off in the BookExpo Startup Challenge on Thursday, May 29th. All selected participants will be exhibiting at Startup Alley in the Digital Zone. Six finalists will be chosen to present to a panel of judges on the Downtown Stage at 2:30pm for the chance to win cash prizes of $10,000 for first place, sponsored by Ingram Content Group, and $5,000 for second place, sponsored by Sourcebooks. Both winning teams will also receive an introductory offer to GLG Share, which connects high-growth startups with the world’s largest membership for professional learning and expertise, and free access to all of AlleyNYC’s summer 2014 events, with the possibility of receiving further investment from judges.
Selected participants include:
● ACTIVE SPUD (http://www.activespud.com) is a ‘page to life’ company that publishes experience-based fitness and wellness books for children.
● ALTA EDITIONS (http://www.altaeditions.com) publishes interactive online cookbooks with a subscription-based offering.
● BENEATH THE INK (http://www.beneaththeink.com) provides exclusive technology that makes it easy for authors to embed additional content for readers to access which give readers more insight into the characters, places, concepts and words without leaving the page.
● BOOKMATE (http://bookmate.com) offers a subscription model for e-books directed towards users in emerging markets where piracy issues are rife.
● BOOKOPOLIS (http://www.bookopolis.com) is a book discovery tool and COPPA-compliant social network which encourages young students to develop a love of reading for fun.
● CHINESE CUBES (http://www.chinesecubes.com) allows consumers to learn Chinese through fun stories at every level by creating an interactive reading and learning experience.
● ENSKRI (http://www.enskri.com) has created a patent pending system that allows purchasers of ebooks and other digital items to add personalized messages containing video, text and images for gifting or other purposes.
● IFLIST (www.iflist.com) is committed to providing every book and story a platform to garner public support with the ultimate goal of getting optioned. It also builds a valuable, creative platform and informative resource for the arts and entertainment industry.
● KADAXIS (http://kadaxis.com) helps publishers to dramatically increase the long term ROI on a title, by analyzing the full text of books to derive metadata and increase discoverability.
● LIBRARY FOR ALL (https://www.libraryforall.org) developed a Library application that delivers ebooks to low-cost devices such as tablets, mobile phones, and PCs. It is accessible in low-bandwidth environments via mobile phone networks.
● MOUNTCASTLE (www.mountcastlecompany.com) is an independent educational children’s book publishing company that also develops supplemental digital product to enhance learning through interactive content.
● NOVELRY (http://novelry.com) is a discovery engine for readers who want the convenience of online shopping but aren’t satisfied with computer-generated recommendations.
● PUBSLUSH (http://pubslush.com) is a crowdfunding and marketing platform for the literary world. This niche platform provides a way to raise money and gauge audience response for literacy-based projects while supporters make financial pledges, bringing ideas to life.
● QLOVI (https://www.qlovi.com/) is a literacy innovation company that provides free software for k-12 teachers alongside time-base eBook purchases. Qlovi’s software allows teachers to assess and track students’ reading and writing skills to accelerate achievement.
● RIFFLE (http://www.rifflebooks.com) provides tools for creating and curating reviews, reading lists, book quotes, recommendations, and author interviews. It’s a social media platform and word-of-mouth network that pushes book related content into Twitter, Tumblr and Facebook.
● SCREWPULP (http://www.screwpulp.com) is an eBook marketplace for self-published authors that utilizes a demand-driven pricing model.
● SNAPPLIFY (www.snapplify.com) is a digital publishing solutions provider enabling publishers to sell their content globally.
● TAKE PRIDE LEARNING (http://iknowabc.com) has created an enhanced and interactive digital books platform for children ages 2 to 6.
Winners will be announced at the Downtown Stage on Thursday, May 29th after 4pm as part of a networking cocktail hour sponsored by GLG Share.
The BookExpo Startup Challenge is sponsored by Ingram Content Group, Sourcebooks, GLG Share, Desilva+Phillips, Kiwi Tech, AlleyNYC and Librify. Digital Book World, the leading destination for exclusive coverage of the ebook and digital publishing industry, will also be a media sponsor on hand to cover the event.
Founded in late 2012 by publishing industry veterans and based in New York City, Librify is creating the world’s first book-of-the-month club for ebooks, bringing a dramatically improved shared, social reading experience and discounted pricing model to book clubs and readers across all platforms and devices. For more information pertaining to Librify please contact email@example.com or visit www.librify.com.
ABOUT BOOKEXPO AMERICA:
BookExpo America (BEA) is North America’s largest gathering of book trade professionals attracting an international audience. It is organized with the support of association partners including the Association of American Publishers (AAP) and the American Booksellers Association (ABA). BEA is recognized for the media attention it brings to upcoming books as well as for the notable authors it attracts to the convention itself. Please visit http://www.bookexpoamerica.com/ for more information.
For more information on the BookExpo Startup Challenge, please visit bookexpochallenge.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org