Amazon rolls out new features in a software update to its latest Kindle and Kindle Voyage e-readers.
Two of the more noteworthy additions include support for “Family Library” and “Word Wise.” The first allows users to share content among Kindle devices through linked Amazon accounts.
The latter is an in-text dictionary/thesaurus, designed to offer young readers and English learners clues to difficult terms without having to dive in and out of the ebooks they’re reading.
Amazon says the software update will occur automatically in several weeks, but users can manually install them now.
New features including Word Wise and Family Library coming to Kindle e-readers as part of a free, over-the-air software update
SEATTLE–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Nov. 14, 2014– (NASDAQ:AMZN)–Amazon today announced a software update for Kindle e-readers that includes exclusive features such as Word Wise and Family Library. This free, over-the-air software update will be delivered automatically in the coming weeks to the newly announced $79 Kindle and Kindle Voyage, as well as the most recent version of Kindle Paperwhite, or you can visit www.amazon.com/kindlesoftwareupdates to download the software update starting today.
“We can’t wait to hear what customers think about these new software features,” said Peter Larsen, Vice President, Amazon Devices. “Word Wise makes it easier for kids learning to read and readers learning English to understand more challenging books more quickly, with short and simple definitions that automatically appear above difficult words. Additionally, Family Library lets family members share books with a spouse or partner, without sharing an Amazon account.”
New features include:
• Word Wise–For readers learning English and children learning to read, Word Wise makes it easier to understand more challenging books more quickly. Short and simple definitions automatically appear above difficult words, so you can keep reading without having to stop and look up a word. To see the various meanings the same word can have in different contexts, just tap on the word to quickly bring up a card with definitions, synonyms, and more. You can adjust the number of definitions you see with a slider, dialing them up or down as you learn and grow your vocabulary. Word Wise is already available on thousands of titles, including The Hunger Games, The Giver, and Wonder. See a screenshot: www.amazon.com/wordwise.
• Family Library–For the first time, you can access not only your own Kindle books, but also books from the Amazon account of a spouse or partner. See a screenshot: www.amazon.com/family-library.
• Kindle FreeTime Unlimited–For as little as $2.99 per month, kids get unlimited access to hundreds of hand-picked chapter books and early readers, all curated for age-appropriateness, so parents don’t have to spend time and money guessing what their kids will enjoy. Includes favorites such as the Harry Potter series, The Borrowers by Mary Norton, Big Nate and Friends by Lincoln Peirce, and Newberry Medal and Honor winning books such as The Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare, and Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell.
• Expanded X-Ray for Books–X-Ray now makes it easier to explore as you read–quickly flip through all the images in a book, and use the new timeline view to easily browse the most notable passages. See a screenshot: www.amazon.com/x-ray-for-books.
• Deeper Goodreads Integration–Goodreads on Kindle now allows you to easily share your reading progress updates, add books from your Kindle library to your Goodreads shelves, and see your friends’ updates, ratings and reviews when looking at a book on Goodreads. See a screenshot: www.amazon.com/goodreads-integration.
• Enhanced Search–Makes it even easier to find what you are looking for by combining and previewing results from your Library, Goodreads and the Kindle Store on the same page. See a screenshot: www.amazon.com/kindle-search.
• About This Book–See information about the book as you start to read, including its place in a series and author information, plus mark it as “Currently Reading” on Goodreads. See a screenshot: www.amazon.com/about-the-book.
These features will be delivered automatically as part of a free, over-the-air software update in the coming weeks, or you can visit www.amazon.com/kindlesoftwareupdates to download the software update starting today.
Amazon.com opened on the World Wide Web in July 1995. The company is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire phone, Fire tablets, and Fire TV are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon.