Will Amazon Announce a Canadian Kindle Store before Christmas?

The Digital Reader is reporting that The Kindle Store is now live on Amazon.ca and that the site includes Kindle ebooks and apps. Anecdotal reports differ on whether Kindle devices, specifically Kindle Fire, are available through the site.

When Digital Book World visited Amazon.ca, after just two clicks, we read that Amazon is “excited to now ship Kindle to Canada.” And that its ebook offerings include “1,550,000 English-language books…plus U.S. and international newspapers and magazines are available for your country.”

Amazon also includes this forward-looking clause, “We are actively working with publishers to get the rights to all titles for every country and adding this selection every day.”

The Canadian government’s resistance to foreign investment may explain why, to date, Amazon has not had a Kindle Store in Canada, according to The Digital Reader post.

Also open for speculation is when Amazon.ca will officially launch. The Digital Reader thinks it will be soon rather than later: “I’m sure Amazon doesn’t want to pass up any chances to sell Kindles.”

2 thoughts on “Will Amazon Announce a Canadian Kindle Store before Christmas?

  1. PolyWogg

    A little bit of a reality check…Amazon.CA is not a new site, it has been operational for over five years. It sells just about everything Amazon.COM does, except for Kindle titles and Kindle machines. When you click on \kindle\ stuff, it would just re-route you to the .COM site. Two sites, different logins. But for the first few years, they were virtually indistinguishable on other content — in fact, if you looked for a book on the Cdn site, it would show you reviews from the .COM site too.

    When Kindle first launched, Amazon wouldn’t ship for a couple of years to Canadian addresses — the problem was the wireless version of Whispernet. They didn’t have a Cdn wireless company to provide the network for it, and our domestic costs are way higher than U.S., so not really a money maker for them. But three years ago, they started shipping direct for machines, and just under two years ago, selling the machines directly in stores.

    However, Kindle books were still not available \directly\ on the .CA site…you would get redirected to the .com site. At which time, you had access to about 90% of the US titles, leaving out 10% or so for those publishers who (a) didn’t check the \make it available in Canada\ box when they uploaded; (b) had U.S. rights but not North American rights; or (c) talked to someone in the RIAA who told them all of Canada were pirates because our laws were older than the U.S. ones, and just as ineffective.

    The real news is not a new site or a new Kindle store but that the new site might (and I say might with a dejected perspective) fix a bunch of wonky pricing problems. Lots of times you’d look at a book on Amazon.COM that was $8.99 for the paperback, $11 or more for the Kindle version, and see it listed on a discount site as discounted to #2.99 (but not available at that price when Cdns clicked).

    But going back to original source, it has nothing to do with fears of foreign investment, and never has. It is about the fact that Amazon didn’t have reason to invest in Kindle.CA site since we already had all the paper books plus 90% of Kindles books already, and we could already get Kindles machines.

    What changed is that Kobo is actually now a working viable reader. The first few were so slow, the Kindle was lightyears ahead. But Kobo has competing quality products now that Cdns are buying in droves because there is a store to go to, you can see the product, they think they are buying Cdn (don’t ask about the shell game on that one), and Kobo even announced recently they will now do self-publishing. Amazon can’t just count on their size and quality anymore, they actually need a newly tweaked presence.

    It’s anybody’s guess if this will be better or worse than before…my fear of course is that people i.e. authors might have to upload twice rather than once, and actually start reducing availability in Canada, not just once. UK already does, as do several other countries. So much for the NAFTA integrated trading system…


  2. George Rose

    I bought my Kindle about 3 years ago while visiting family in the U.S. And I kept it under “my” U.S. address because I quickly found that many books I wanted to read were not available in Canada. Now Amazon is sending messages urging me to switch my account to amazon.ca. Pricing on Amazon.ca looks good, based on a few comparison checks. But what if some of the titles I already bought are not considered legit for Canadians? Will Amazon delete them from my Kindle? Reluctant to switch until I know I won’t lose any content I already paid for. . . . Please keep updating this story.
    A. Reader in Vancouver



Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *