Inkling Powers New Frommer’s Interactive Travel E-Books
Frommer’s for iPad and iPhone Marries Trusted Expertise with Ultraportable Convenience
Frommer’s(R) and Inkling launch the first interactive travel guides for iPad(R), iPhone(R) and iPod touch(R)
HOBOKEN, N.J. & SAN FRANCISCO, May 01, 2012 (BUSINESS WIRE) — Frommer’s, the market leader in travel guides, and Inkling, the creator of the standard for interactive digital publishing, announced immediate availability of the first-ever truly interactive guides for iPhone and iPad. With seven titles from Frommer’s award-winning Day by Day(R) series rebuilt on Inkling’s platform and optimized for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch, the joy of traveling begins before you even get there.
Travelers now have unprecedented access to the information they need, wherever they are. Plan your trip at home on the sofa with your iPad, swiping through images, listings and interactive maps. Then, check your notes and highlights on the airplane, making a few last minute plans. Once there, leave your iPad in the room, and grab your iPhone for quick references while out exploring the sights you researched earlier.
All of the content from the Day by Day series, like thoughtful itineraries and curated expertise, is amplified with Inkling-only features not found in any e-book or travel app:
– With more than 650 rich maps, travelers can envision the destinations as they plan, tapping for instant access to more information, links, and images.
– It’s easy to make highlights and bookmark anything from text to maps and web links. iPad users can also make notes. All annotations are saved in your guide for easy reference.
– More than 3,000 high-resolution photographs make you feel like you’re already lounging on a beach, exploring a Renaissance chateau, or walking through Zen gardens–all before packing your bags. Frommer’s on Inkling immerses travelers in the destination from the first tap.
– Figure out what to pack in advance or what to wear that day as you read about your itinerary with 74 live, five-day forecast weather windows. Every time you check out a destination inside your guide, you’ll get up-to-the-minute weather about that destination or city.
– Easy navigation of your guide means easy navigation of your destination. Instead of flipping back and forth between maps, photos, and lists, layered maps show the top places to dine, stay and visit in one spot. Every chapter also begins with slideshows of destination highlights, to help you dive in with ease.
– Frommer’s guides are fully cross-linked. Tap on references to other places or sections, and jump to hotel, restaurant and other websites anywhere in the book.
– Forget navigating a traditional index or remembering where a recommendation is in the book. Search for anything, and Inkling finds it anywhere in the guide–plus Google and Wikipedia, too, just in case.
“We’ve long wanted a way to deliver a rich interactive travel guide experience across mobile platforms,” said Rob Flynn, Global Publisher of Frommer’s, a branded imprint of Wiley. “Our partnership with Inkling lets us provide travelers with all the inspirational, insightful, and practical information they want with the added functionality and convenience that mobile devices offer. And since it’s all cross-platform, from iPad to iPhone, they’re just as useful for planning at home as they are for recommendations on the road.”
“When I saw the first prototypes of this project on Inkling, I knew we had a winning experience for travelers,” said Matt MacInnis, CEO of Inkling. “Frommer’s fantastic content, married with Inkling’s technology, has given us an entirely new kind of travel guide. Even the most seasoned travelers are going to love what we’ve created.”
Seven guides are available for immediate download from www.inkling.com/frommers and from within the App Store: Costa Rica, Alaska, California, France, Spain, Great Britain, and Japan. More destinations are coming later this year.
Frommer’s Day by Day guides on Inkling are universal apps for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch, priced from $9.99 to $14.99. You can learn more about Frommer’s on Inkling at www.inkling.com/frommers .
Inkling is reinventing publishing in the era of iPad, and we’ve started by redefining the book. Starting with the world’s best textbooks from leading publishers, Inkling rebuilds each from the ground up into enhanced, engaging and interactive experiences. But it’s about more than just books. Look between the lines, and you’ll see a revolution in publishing: a new platform for creating, distributing and consuming media-rich, interactive content. Based in San Francisco, Inkling is backed by Sequoia Capital, and partners with the world’s leading educational publishers. For more information, visit www.inkling.com .
The most trusted source for travel content, Frommer’s helps travelers explore destinations the way locals do. Offering inspiration and information for every type of trip, Frommer’s publishes 350 titles, available in print and all ebook formats. With guides to over 4,000 destinations, Frommers.com offers everything you’ll find in the guidebooks alongside breaking travel news, product reviews, inspirational slideshows, and expert advice. Travelers can also connect with other Frommers.com members through active reader forums, and share travel photos with the Frommer’s community. Frommer’s is a registered trademark of Arthur Frommer. Frommer’s is a branded imprint of Wiley.