The DBW Roundtable is a live, interactive webcast featuring some of the most outspoken industry professionals gathering to discuss and debate the hottest publishing issues of today.
In this bi-weekly 1-hour WEBcast, the Roundtable offers insight into the greater book publishing ecosystem with actionable case studies from practitioners in publishing.
Rights are the building blocks of publishing, but at many publishers both large and small the process of managing those rights is woefully behind the creation of products that exploit those rights. Publishers understand that they need to digitize their backlist books, but many have not realized the importance of digitizing their backlist contracts.
In this episode of the Roundtable, we’ll examine the state of rights management today, including topics like:
- Rights are the building blocks of publishing, but Rights Management Systems are expensive (and there aren’t many of them). Are there less expensive options?
- Publishing’s fractured marketplace: different systems, different contracts, and different language are employed at each house (and agency). Is it clear that we’re all talking about the same rights?
- What are going to be the recommendations of the BISG Rights Committee up to? What is the framework for a standardized taxonomy of rights (the first draft of which is coming in July)?
- When rights are freed of their print book containers and can become any product a publisher has need for, what are the opportunities?
- Will permissions departments start making more money for publishers through a larger number of transactions at a lower price point?
This edition of the Roundtable will especially appeal to subsidiary rights, agents, contracts, business development, and editors at publishers large and small.
The Roundtable was broadcast on May 19th at 1 PM EST / 10 AM PST.
- Brian O’Leary, Founder and Principal, Magellan Media
- Emily Williams, Digital Content Producer, Publishers Marketplace, and Co-Chair, BISG Rights Committee
- Don Linn, Former CEO, Consortium Book Sales & Distribution
- Laura Dawson, Content Chief, Firebrand Technologies
- Matt Mullin, Community Relations Manager, Digital Book World
Join the Roundtable for provocative discussions every two weeks that set the tone for another exciting year in the publishing industry!